Founder’s DAO Improvement Proposal - Communications Committee (FINAL FOR VOTE)

Founder’s DAO Improvement Proposal - Communications Committee (FINAL FOR VOTE)

Co-Authors: Jacob Wittman (@jakewittman), WestCoastWalker, Yeetcity.eth, zentensivist, Economist, Arrahateck, MickyD.eth, MelvinCapital.eth, RustySailor
Type: Structural
Implementor: Pixel Vault, Inc.; Founder’s DAO Tokenholders
Created Date: March 25, 2022

Summary

This proposal seeks to create a communications committee (the “ Committee ”) for the Founder’s DAO (“ DAO ”) that will oversee communications platforms and strategies. Additionally, the Committee shall be charged with overseeing the DAO brand architect, which will be further outlined in an forthcoming proposal. The committee should consist of three (3) to five (5) DAO tokenholders and one (1) additional position for a Pixel Vault, Inc. (” Pixel Vault ”) representative.

This proposal provides that the following Founder’s DAO tokenholders will serve as the inaugural representatives of the Committee:

• WestCoastWalker
  • MickyD.eth
  • RustySailor
  • Zentensivist
  • MelvinCapital.eth
  • Rotating Pixel Vault representative

Abstract

Communications are pivotal to the success of any organization, including decentralized autonomous organizations. Currently, Pixel Vault is the only platform that communicates on behalf of the DAO. Establishing a separate communications platform that can represent the interests of the DAO is necessary for the DAO to grow beyond its current status.

Communications Platforms

The Committee shall oversee which communications platforms are officially adopted by the DAO. For example, Pixel Vault has reserved the “@FoundersDAO” Twitter handle for use by the DAO. The Committee shall (1) adopt this handle as the official Twitter for the DAO, (2) establish proper security measures in protecting the log-in credentials and (3) nominate certain Committee representatives to oversee the day-to-day social media management of the Twitter handle. Further, the Committee shall oversee the adoption of a native DAO Discord channel, Medium channel and other channels as the Committee may see necessary from time to time.

Committee Charter

Second, the Committee must adhere to the Communications Committee Charter, which is in draft form here (link ). This charter shall seek to be a guidepost for current and future Committee representatives, as they seek to scale the DAO communications channels properly and efficiently.

Committee Fees

The DAO should seek to engage with individuals who are (1) passionate about communications and (2) have the necessary skills to effectively scale the communications platforms and strategies. In order to capture the most optimal talent, and in consideration for the services provided, the Committee representatives should receive value each month.

The estimated time per month that each Committee representative will spend on DAO matters is approximately 10 to 20 hours. Our proposal is that each Committee representative receive two (2) Jupiter tokens per month so long as such person continues to serve as a representative on the Committee. The DAO currently owns 2,235 Jupiter tokens, and as of today, each is valued at 0.08 ETH (or approximately $250 USD). With no more than five (5) committee representatives serving at any time, this equates to 10 Jupiter tokens per month, or 120 per year. Furthermore, as of today’s value, this equates to approximately $500 per month in value that each Committee representative will receive. This will be the target compensation for a Committee representative and may be adjusted from time to time through a separate FDIP (or through delegation to a Finance Committee in the future) should the market value of the Jupiter tokens materially change. For the avoidance of doubt, any Pixel Vault service provider serving on the Committee as the Pixel Vault representative will not receive any tokens hereunder.

Inaugural Communications Committee

This proposal proposes that the following individuals serve as the initial representatives of the Committee and shall only be replaced in accordance with the terms of the Charter:

WestCoastWalker

WestCoastWalker is a valuable and engaged member of the Founder’s DAO community. In addition to his professional work as a Director of Admissions and Basketball coach, he has also had multiple blockchain-based employment opportunities that are relevant to this being a representative on the Committee. The first opportunity was as a brand and community manager for an Ethereum p2p sports betting exchange called ‘Degens’ and the second was with Dharma as a customer service rep. We feel that WestCoastWalker is a great fit to serve as a representative on the Committee because of his dedication and commitment to Founder’s DAO as well as his experience in and outside of the blockchain ecosystem.

RustySailor

I have a background in computer engineering and technical program management. I have worked both roles in a variety of different industries. Beyond the traditional aspects of engineering and management, I have also published novel research in scientific conferences and journals. My unique technical depth, combined with my breadth of experience and social acumen, have prepared me to tackle the unique challenges of the fast-moving Web 3 space.

On a more personal note… I’m Rusty (echo “Hi Rusty”). I’ve been in PV since last Summer. I enjoy whisky, fast cars, sports, and NFTs.

MickyD.Eth

MickyD’s experience will be a valuable addition to the Committee. In addition to being a Founder’s DAO Tokenholder since Day 1 of the Comic #1 burn, MickyD’s professional accolades speak for themselves:

• Experience growing social media accounts (previous co-owner of 18 Instagram pages that totalled just over 1 million followers).
  • Experience running paid social ads.
  • Experience creating Facebook, Instagram and Discord Bots.
  • High Twitter engagement amongst the PV community (see: @mickyd_eth)

Zentensivist

I work as a physician IRL, but before medicine have done copywriting work for Nike, and have published reporting as a journalist, works of narrative creative nonfiction, and in the academic literature within the fields of computational biology and cancer epidemiology.

I’m not very active on twitter, but once wrote a megathread on the Founder’s DAO (https://twitter.com/zentensivist/status/1489155790581555201 ) that has been retweeted 132 times and has almost 50,000 impressions, despite my having only around 50 followers when I wrote it.

As a side project this year I helped manage communications and served as the community manager at launch for the Ducks of a Feather NFT project (https://ducksofafeather.xyz/), where we grew our discord from 0 to over 8,000 in 3 days and sold out our project of 120 NFTs, which currently sits with a floor of > 5 eth a month out from mint.

I am a day 1 Punks Comic Minter, day 1 PFVD burner, and active discord member. I’d be honored to help craft both the externally facing communications strategy for the PVFD, as well as improve our internal communication channels with the goal of maximizing governance participation.

MelvinCapital.eth

Melvincapital.eth has 8 years of experience as a software engineer with additional background in product management. He has worked for Mastercard, Priceline, and various startups. He has always kept his eye on traditional finance (hence the name) and is even more excited about Web 3 and anxious to see those products that emerge from the space that truly improve our lives. Melvin’s been a Founder’s Dao member since day one and an active one!

He is currently observing what it takes to grow a twitter account and discovering his niche within crypto twitter. He is also teaching himself solidity. Melvincapital does not own any gamestop positions at this time of writing :slight_smile:

Pixel Vault, Inc. Representative

Although this spot will rotate, it is Pixel Vault’s intention that the Economist serve in this role and be engaged directly with the Committee. In his absence, Pixel Vault will send another employee qualified to engage.

Motivation

To establish a communications platform and strategy outside of Pixel Vault, Inc.; to create a large online audience by DAO tokenholders, for DAO tokenholders; to identify opportunities to scale the DAO communications strategy and grow the community

Benefits

This proposal seeks to establish DAO’s communications platform apart from Pixel Vault, Inc., which has been the voice of the community until this time. Having a separate communications strategy and platform will help the DAO scale effectively.

Drawbacks

Having a separate communications strategy will require time and dedication that DAO tokenholders may not have; however, by adding a small incentive mechanism, we look to have engaged representatives of the community participate on this committee. Another drawback is operations and implementation amongst DAO tokenolders. The communications committee will have to take great care in protecting the login information for the platforms as to prevent any scams/attacks on the community.

Outcomes

The goal for this proposal is to establish a DAO-specific communications platform that will efficiently scale the DAO beyond its current status. The optimal outcomes include (1) having large online communities in DAO-owned social platforms, (2) the production of high quality communications content that drives new ecosystem members to engage with the DAO and (3) informing DAO members across multiple communications channels of new governance proposals and voting deadlines with the goal of maximizing governance participation.

2 Likes

I have a couple concerns that I would like to raise regarding this proposal and the charter associated with the committee. There seems to be a general lack of concrete, actionable goals or measurables for the committee. It’s understandable that in these early stages of DAO development, things are a bit amorphous. But if we are compensating members on committees, there should be objective ways to measure if that compensation is earned aka the committee is achieving the goals set out for it. It is not particularly clear to me what the committee is aiming to accomplish and how they will measure success. The language of the responsibilities in the charter are very vague.

In regards to the charter - which states that the committee must meet at least 1 time per month. This seems like a very low bar to meet. A month in NFT time is an eternity. Communication is one thing that members in discord have voiced a strong opinion about in the past and is an essential part of not only placating, but educating and empowering token holders to foster the growth and success of the brand and individuals supporting it. I would have assumed at least weekly meetings especially in these early days of getting the committee off the ground and providing updates to other PVFD members through minutes.

On that same note, 1 year seems like far too long of a term length, especially in these early days and when limited to just 5 members. I would expect that other members may want to join or have their talents found useful by the committee and could be voted to have a new group of members approved after x weeks or months in this trial run period.

The current makeup of committee members is a great representation of active and respected PVFD members but upon reading, it seems that only one (MickeyD) has significant experience with the type of communications outlined in the charter and proposal. I’m not sure if the 5 day period of time between proposal creation and vote was not long enough for people to be made aware of the opportunity or if it is simply an area of focus that we lack in the DAO at the moment, but it does seem to be a concern for meeting the current goals of the committee if we are not sufficiently equipped.

I appreciate your thoughtful feedback @TheLoopDigga. A few points that I would make. The committee has a number of awesome marketing, communication ideas that we would like to execute. From creating an official brand guide, complete with a mission statement, etc - to running some promotional events - to creating educational and current event content around PV. As you can imagine, we have a lot of ideas and what the committee officially executes is fluid as the discussion of exactly what we want to do is an ongoing discussion. But I assure you, we have many great ideas that we are hoping to do on behalf of the PVFD. Things that we believe will help grow our community. Yes, it could have all been detailed in the proposal, but again, its fluid and the conversation is just beginning. Setting up and managing comms channels (twitter, youtube, medium, etc) itself is another task we are trying to do. I do agree that the committee should meet more than once a month. In our internal talks, we have talked about meeting on a weekly basis in some way, with a more official monthly meeting. I also believe we each committed to giving roughly 10-20 hours per month to the committee- well worth the 2 Jupiter planets we are requesting per member on a monthly basis, imho. Also, as for me, I know I will be working on this committee on a daily basis. I hope to manage the comms channels, execute marketing ideas, etc - I hope to make this a part of my daily routine. I am very committed to this and would like to sink my teeth into this work.

I also agree that the team should be able to provide a way to measure our success. I will advocate for including this when we create marketing campaigns etc. I think this is important. As for the team, I really believe it is a passionate and diverse team with many different talents. IMHO, the collective talent and knowledge of this team can certainly execute the ideas that fall within marketing/communications, etc. My self personally, I have much more of a marketing and communications background than what was stated in the 4 sentences on me in the proposal.

I think that giving more detail about these kinds of ideas could be a benefit for both the committee and the DAO members - if nothing else, it can spawn some discussions that and allow for loose participation from the DAO as a whole. Obviously, the elected committee members have the final say, but getting additional points of view should only help us to avoid blind spots and deliver the best communication possible. For example, I gave an example during the last community Twitter spaces that we should attempt some informal polling of the PV community at large to see 1. what people are excited about 2. areas for improvement 3. ideas to contribute and more. As an interested PVFD holder, that is not on the committee, I would love to know how can I contribute to the vision of the group and what may or may not work given our current resources and goals. I don’t doubt the integrity or commitment of any elected members. My concern is only that communication and marketing are exceptionally difficult to do well and I want to make sure we’re putting our best foot forward.